Saturday 6 April 2013

Venturing out & typical street scenes (#9)

On Bangladesh Independence day, March 26, after walking to Gloria Jeans for coffee, 

Breakfast at Gloria Jean's. Notice the packet of
ketchup they gave me for my crescent. Ha!
Bangladesh is only 42 yrs old!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independence_Day_of_Bangladesh


I ventured toward the open markets on my own. (I didn't dare go inside because it is very easy to get lost after one or two turns.) Along the way, while walking the narrow "sidewalk" (dirt/broken concrete/brick path), there were doorways or rather, open walls to small spaces that held what looked like tiny restaurants and gathering places that were crowded with locals hanging out.




Street view from Gloria Jean's coffee shop

I walked along the "sidewalk," hidden behind the street scene, back in the dark area of this shot. There is a pathway with people cooking over open fires, and small shops along the way. It was so close and crowded in there, I didn't feel comfortable taking out my camera and shooting pictures in this private/hidden world.
Beautiful Bangladeshi music played along the narrow pathways through an overhead sound system--it reminded me of how music is heard while shopping at Macy's. People were celebrating their holiday, like we do, around cooking and eating favorite foods. This is my most favorite spot I've come across so far. It was not at all a place for tourists (not that any place I've been to has been - other than Gloria Jeans). I felt like I entered a world so different than anywhere I could even imagine. Pictures and words can't capture the sounds, smells and visceral experience of being there. If I could have video taped it, that would have helped! Even so, there is a difference in watching someone parachute out of an airplane, and actually doing it. That is how this experience is for me to try and describe. I recall thinking at the time how much I love traveling for this reason. The opportunity to experience places, people, art, music, and cultures other than my own, is high on my excite-o-meter!

Women walking along the street

Bone China - as one guy told me "made in Bangladesh," as I
read on the bottom of the cup, "Made in England"


One of the jewelry markets along the way

This guy called out, "take my picture, I am old!" I had taken
a picture of the guy behind him, a younger guy disintered in
having his photo taken

More colorful rickshaws


Professional men wear traditional looking Western attire.
Other men, like the sales guy here, wear "skirts" like the rickshaw driver above.
Here, this guy is selling tee-shirts on the corner of the street where
Lisa and family live.



Lisa, Sami, and I got out twice, with the help of the family driver, to other markets. 
Lisa and Sami testing the baby carrier. She didn't dare walk
outdoors with him. Between the traffic, broken walkways
and dust, it would not have been safe for a tiny baby.
 
This is traffic MOVING right toward us. I immediately came to appreciate the impressive driving skills of the family's
full-time driver! People drive on the opposite side of the street and from the opposite side of the car (our passenger side) than we are used to. Our driver gives a couple honks to let traffic on the sides of us know he is going to merge to the left to allow this car to go around us to the right. Whew! We made it through yet another day of traffic in Dhaka.
These pix are of a couple of shops in the market Lisa, Sam and I visited.
 
The store with "Fixed Prices" (no negotiating) where Lisa bought two
pair of shorts for Sara and one pair of pants. Total was 800 taka = $10.25
A card shop
 

No comments:

Post a Comment