Saturday 6 April 2013

Shopping the fabric markets (#6)

A tailor's shop with ribbons and beaded adornments for sale

Kids love to have their pix taken.
The red X is so people see the glass door.
The woman inside gives me the typical look I get as a foreigner.
I have had the delightful opportunity to go with Abu's mother to the markets.  First, I should explain about names and titles here.  Abu's mother's name is Bilquis (like Bill-kiss), but as the mother of her daughter-in-law, the title/name I use for her is Be-un (like Bay-un or a long "Ben")  Abu's father's name is Wahidul (sounds like Wa-he-dul), and to me he is Be-ai (Bay-i)

The open markets are where all prices are negotiated.  Be-un is expert at knowing and getting the bottom line price and sighting any quality issues.  It has been very fun being with her and watching her use these skills.

The markets are tiny little shops filled to the rafters (and sometimes in the rafters) with all kinds of goods.  On our shopping sprees, I wanted to look at fabrics which are mostly made here (some in India, but of lesser quality).
Be-un moves like the wind.  She walks fast and deals fast.  I loved the energy!  I like to  walk fast too, so keeping up was the easy part.  Once inside the shop, Be-un immediately asked the sales people for what it is we were looking for.  I'd narrowed my options to material to make a couple of tops and a shalwar-kameez.
If I remember, this is the shop where we found the fabric for my SK
 This meant finding shops that would sell fabric by the yard for the tops.  Most/much of the fabrics are already cut into patterns for the shalwar kameez, which  always has a top, pants and a scarf.  This is the traditional garment, so there is a multitude of various designs of this cut.  The length of the top goes to either just above the knee or to the mid-calf, with slits up the sides to about the waist.  It will have either three-quarter sleeves or short sleeves (not sleeveless!)

There are a million choices for necklines; with a collar, or not, round, v-neck, etc., and most of then slip on.  It is rare to see one that opens in the front.  Some that are fitted, have a zipper in the back.  The bottoms are called "pajamas".  The pajama is usually big around the butt/belly and has a drawstring or elastic.  Then the pants taper to the ankle.  A newer style here is a tight fitting pant that looks like leggings... although in this heat, that looks less appealing because it would not be breezy!  A friend of mine once told me that underpants are not traditionally worn with shalwar kameez... now that I know the most popular fabric for these is "chiffon" (a fairly transparent material) my doubt regarding his "advice" has been confirmed!  :)


   I'm wearing a SK that was loaned to me by a
co-worker, Tambra Lee-Heine. Sara is in one of
her many lovely dresses; as we ready for dinner
in the home of cousins, Isa Mohammed Shafiq,
his mother and sister. The dinner and hopitality
were spendid!
After finding a beautiful pattern for a shalwar-kameez, Be-un launched into a fast paced back an forthexchange with the salesmen.  They smiled and shook their heads no and then she would say something else and they would continue to say no.  This was all about finding the agreed upon price.  In the end, Be-un was able to get less than half of the price first given!  She told me later that they are very friendly and polite and that she will go back to them and bring Lisa.  One top of all of that, Be-un insisted on buying this one as a gift for me!
The SK Be-un bought for me.
It is beaded head to toe.

Next stop, we went to the tailor Be-un likes.  It was so busy in there that we barely fit in the room.  Yet, there is little waiting.  While one person may be pondering a posed question, others (me and Be-un) just got into the mix and before I knew it, I was measured head to toe.  A drawing of my sleeve, neckline, hemline choice, and date of pick-up were noted.  In three days I will have two tops, one shalwar kameez, and a dress made to order!
Be-un's tailor who made 2 tops, 1 dress and a shalwar kameez for me
By the way, the cost to make the SK is about $5!  The cost to make my lined, custom made dress ( they don't wear dresses here so I had to explain how to do it) will be about $9.00.  The tops will cost $3 each to make.  One is of raw silk with BLING! (beaded lace) around the neckline and sleeves.

One of two tops I had made
The art of open market negotiations includes knowing when it is likely a lost cause.  Because Be-un knows her stuff, she could tell me right away if they were asking too much.  She would then get into serious back and forth discussion, use the calculator to show me where they were in dollars.  Then we would head for the door and before going out, she would either turn and make a "final" offer, or they would accept her last one to them.  In many cases, we would get out the door and down the hall before I'd ask, "what happened?"  She would tell me where they left off and if it was good, she wore a knowing smile.  She wanted to be sure I was ready to make the purchase, then we would go back in and close the deal.  If she could not get them to move on a high price, she would gently suggest/ask if I'd like to keep looking.  Of course!  It would be silly not to follow her lead.
This one is made of raw silk
I must say a little bit about the fabric I bought for my dress.  I will have a picture of it once it is made for me, but I cannot resist writing about it now!  It is extravagant.  Picture red chiffon, (starched - not limp) frosted with black lace in a pattern of tiny swirls.  Inside each swirl are red and black beads!   The front is thick with this decor.  The back has the same lace, but in patches of decor.  It will be fitted, and come to just above the knee, with three-quarter length sleeves of the same fabric.  Because it is completely sheer, the dress (not sleeves) will be lined in a luxurious red crepe.  The cost for all the fabric and a black silk scarf... $47.  Tough negotiations brought it down from $50, because it is one of the most expensive fabric patterns we saw.  It was cut for a SK, but as I mentioned, it will be made into a dress, instead.
My lovely new dress. It does look better than on the hanger



No comments:

Post a Comment