Wednesday 27 March 2013

A typical day here (#5)

I'm pretty much on Sam's daytime schedule with Lisa.  Being down the hall, with my door closed and the super sonic ceiling fan running, I have no idea when he wakes in the night (nearly every 2 hours).  Sara goes to school Sunday - Thursday.  I have been waking with her and going with Lisa and/or Abu upstairs to his parent's apartment for breakfast.  Because Lisa and Abu have not been in this apartment long, their kitchen is not yet functional.  For example, a refrigerator just arrived yesterday.  Table wear, pots and pans, etc. are in the plan for next month.  I offered to help by going shopping with Lisa for these items, but Abu said that because there is a plan it would be an insult for me to involve myself and make a short-cut in the plan.  The last thing I want to do is be insulting to my/our family here!  We have some snacks collected down here, but full meals are taken upstairs.

Hanging out in my room
My room during the day

Ready for sleeping
Lisa, Sara and I eat separately.  This is not a cultural thing.  It is practical for 3 reasons.  1) There is not room at the dining table for all of us. 2) We eat less spicy foods and therefore our meals are prepared separately. 3) Eating together at each meal would be far more formal than would make sense three times a day.

Our breakfast has been eggs, toast, peanut butter, and tea (until our trip to the food market when I bought instant coffee... which is like a slice of home.)  After breakfast, Sara goes to school.  Lisa and I tend to Sam, taking turns holding, changing, walking, rocking and burping him.  She's fully in charge of his meals.  There are maids here and so they come into the rooms each day to sweep and wash the floors.  The dust here will cover and bury everything if not removed regularly.

When Sara is home, I spend time playing with her or reading, or simply being on hand when she needs/wants something and Lisa is occupied with Sam.

Lunch is usually between 2-4.  Dinner is 8-9.  Abu's family eats at 10 pm.  During the day we've gone to the roof to walk around or hang out.

I haven't ventured out much on my own.  This morning I did walk down the street and around the corner to Gloria Jean's, a fantastic coffee shop.  From there I walked further down the street just to see the sites.  I dress in a long skirt and wear a scarf around my shoulders as is the custom here.  Of course I still stand out and it feels odd to be watched so closely.  At one point a young man began to walk next to me and started chatting asking how I am and where I'm from.  In a few more steps he turned off onto another street and I kept walking.  I've been warned to take precautions about pickpockets and purse snatchers.  That is unsettling, but not enough to make me stay inside all day, all week, as I would be doing otherwise.  Lisa hopes to be able to leave Sam with Abu for a couple hours one day so that we can walk to some of the neighborhood shops together.

5 comments:

  1. Julianne, awesome blog posts! You have us all there with you! Love the photos and the daily diary. Can't believe the story of the communication blunders upon your arrival in Dhaka...especially since I was joking with Lisa throughout your trip wondering if you actually were ON the flights I was tracking! :) Looks like you've got some comfortable digs, are enjoying exploring the local culture, and have been welcomed into the extended family. I'm so happy for you. Keep on posting...I'd love to keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deb,
      Thanks for the comment! I figured you'd get a kick out of the arrival story. Good grief!! More stories will be on the way.
      J

      Delete
  2. What a fun adventure. Sara is precious! What a cutie! Sam is adorable. I can hardly for your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julianne, I'm loving reading your posts! You're making us all feel as if we're right there with you on your adventures.

    Keep writing!
    Love, molly

    ReplyDelete
  4. So fun to catch up on what you are doing! Although halfway around the world, lots of things look very much like Honduras to me! Enjoy every minute, and I can't wait to hear more.

    ReplyDelete